Sunday, April 18, 2010

Final Project: U.S. SAT Scores and Participation

The displayed map was created as the final project for the University of West Florida Online GIS Certification program class, Cartographic Skills, (GIS 3015/L). The map was composed using ArcGIS ArcMap software and finished in Adobe Illustrator.

Midwest Excellence? Comparing mean test scores, students from Midwestern and mid-Southern states seem to excel at the SAT. However, these states generally have lower participation rates compared to other states. The higher scores are most likely attributable to participation rates as students from these states more frequently take the ACT.

4 comments:

  1. Sean,

    Wow! I am really impressed. Great multivariate bar graphs, color choice... And the graph of participation rates/scores by state is over-the-top! You set the bar high.

    Sky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sean,

    Wow! Your map looks like it came right out of the Washington Post. I really like how you trended the SAT test scores against the participation rates for both SAT and ACT exams.

    Awesome map!! Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sean,
    Thanks...I really like yours too! It is ironic that we had similar thoughts about it...I promise I didn't copy. :) I like the extra information you put in the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice, This one really caught my attention, it works.

    ReplyDelete